The European Union and the United Kingdom announced new measures regarding the extension of safeguard measures on imports of certain steel products.
The main measures adopted by the European Union, effective from July 1, 2022, are as follows:
- When the relevant tariff quota is exhausted for one specific country, imports from that country for some product categories can be made under the remaining part of the tariff quota for the same product category.
- The safeguard measures for steel goods coming from Ukraine are now suspended for the next 2 years.
- The list of product categories originating in developing countries to which the definitive measures apply is now updated.
- The volumes of the quotas are updated in Annex I.
The main measures adopted by the United Kingdom are as follows:
- The safeguard measures for the 15 steel categories are extended for 2 years until June 30, 2024.
- The safeguard measures for steel goods coming from Ukraine are suspended for the next 2 years.
Link to the EU Regulation can be found here: EUR-Lex - 32022R0978 - EN - EUR-Lex (europa.eu)
Link to the UK Statement to the Parliament can be found here: UK steel safeguard: International Trade Secretary's statement, 29 June 2022 - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)