At Expeditors, we take sustainability seriously and are happy to present our current Sustainability Report, which we update annually to highlight our continuous progress and latest achievements.
We are proud that these achievements are a natural consequence of executing our core business strategy effectively and ethically.
Progress Rooted in Our Business Model
We launched our first Sustainability Report in 2016. Since then, we’ve seen many changes in supply chain operations globally. What hasn’t changed is Expeditors’ commitment to the fundamental values of good environmental, social, and governance practices. This commitment is part of our business model and is reflected in multiple, long-standing mechanisms that we have put in place to promote the best interests of all Expeditors’ stakeholders – including our customers, employees, service providers, communities, and shareholders – so ESG is not just an abstract concept, but a way of doing business.
Our core business, freight consolidation, involves the combining of multiple different shipments in an efficient manner to maximize space utilization and, consequently, minimize the consumption of resources. Our business saves money for our customers while being measurably better for the environment by reducing unnecessary waste.
We invite you to explore our new Sustainability Report, which details our Environmental, Social, and Governance programs (i.e., “ESG”). Some of the highlights you’ll discover:
- Emissions Reduction Targets – For the first time, we set enterprise-wide Scope 1 & 2 greenhouse gas (“GHG”) emissions reduction targets for our operations.
- Service Provider Appreciation – Once again, we made special efforts to recognize and appreciate our trucking, airline, and ocean carrier partners for their hard work in the face of what sometimes felt like impossible circumstances.
- Protecting Our People – In 2022, our Security, Health, and Safety teams continued to defend our people with the safety protocols in our phased approach to COVID-19 response while complying with widely varying rules from local health officials in different countries, such as the lockdowns in China.
- Green Supply Chain Transformation – We successfully closed our first Sustainable Aviation Fuel (“SAF”) arrangement for one of our customers. We remain uniquely positioned to help our customers leverage more fuel-efficient fleets and lower carbon routing options precisely because we do not own transportation assets.
- Data-driven Metrics – Our visibility tools and supply chain “digital twin” solutions deliver the critical data customers need to drive and measure their green supply chain transformation targets.
For us at Expeditors, the call to action for our ESG programs is to focus on concrete activities that make a difference to our stakeholders.
We hope our updated Sustainability Report will help you learn more about our sustainability story, and we look forward to you joining us on the journey!